FoSCoS stands for ‘Food Safety and Standards Authority of India’. FSSAI is the short form of the same thing. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous organization set up under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It is answerable for securing and promoting public fitness through the regulation and supervision of food safety. Foscos FSSAI Registration sets food safety standards, guidelines and regulations in India, and it is responsible for prosecuting these regulations. This combines issuing licenses and registrations to food businesses, monitoring and inspecting food products, and investigating and deals against businesses that disrupt food safety regulations. It also plays an important role in creating awareness about safe food practices. Size building of stakeholders and food business operators.
It is important for all food business operators, from manufacturers to sellers, to comply with FSSAI regulations and obtain a valid Foscos FSSAI registration or food and safety license as per their business activities and size. Generally, the food sector is considered to be the most important sector for the population and the economy. Thus FSSAI wishes to assure protected and wholesome food for human expenditure and to preserve and boost the health of the people of the country through regulation and supervision of food safety.
The main principles of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FoSCoS or FSSAI) are:
- Protecting Public Health: The primary objective of Foscos FSSAI is to protect and promote public health by regulating and supervising the safety of food products in India.
- Ensure safe and nutritious food: FSSAI is responsible for ensuring that food products in India are safe and nutritious for human consumption. It involves laying down food safety and standards guidelines and inspecting and monitoring food products to ensure their compliance.
- Regulate food businesses: FSSAI is responsible for issuing licenses and registrations to food businesses and monitoring compliance with food safety regulations. This includes inspecting food manufacturing and processing facilities and investigating and taking action against businesses that violate food safety rules.
- Create Awareness: FSSAI plays a vital role in creating awareness about safe food practices among consumers, food business operators and other stakeholders in the food sector. This includes educating the public about food safety and nutrition and training food business operators to follow food safety regulations.
- Capacity Building of Food Business Operators: FSSAI endeavors to build the capacity of Food Business Operators to comply with the regulations and ensure food safety and hygiene.
- Facilitating International Trade: FSSAI also facilitates international trade by ensuring that food products exported from India comply with food safety and standard regulations of the importing countries.
- Provide Scientific and Technical Support: FSSAI to Food Business Operators, to promote food safety in India and improve the overall quality of food products
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FoSCoS or FSSAI) has several key features that help it meet its main objectives of protecting public health and ensuring safe and nutritious food in India. Some of the salient features of FSSAI include the following:
- Autonomous Organization: FSSAI is a sovereign organization which is well – established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. This autonomy allows him, without interference from other government agencies.
- Setting standards: FSSAI is responsible for setting food safety and standard guidelines for all food products in India. These standards are based on international guidelines and are regularly reviewed and updated as needed.
- Licensing and Registration: FSSAI issues license and registration to food business operators, which is mandatory for all businesses that handle, process, manufacture, store, distribute or sell food products.
- Inspection and Enforcement: FSSAI has the authority to inspect food manufacturing and processing facilities, examine complaints, and enforce compliance with food safety regulations.
- Technical and Scientific Support: FSSAI also gives scientific and technical support to food business operators, other government agencies and researchers to bettering the overall quality of food products in India.
- Creating Awareness: FSSAI designs information about secure food practices among consumers, food business operators and other stakeholders in the food sector through education, campaigns and training.
- Risk Management: FSSAI also tackles risk management to assure that food products in India are safe and secure and wholesome for human consumption. This includes assessing and managing food safety risks and taking appropriate action to reduce or eliminate these risks.
- Facilitation for International Trade: FSSAI also facilitates international trade by ensuring that food products exported from India comply with food safety and standard regulations of the importing countries. This can be achieved through mutual recognition agreements, counterpart agreements and other forms of technical cooperation.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the Government of India agency responsible for ensuring food safety and regulating the food industry in India.
FSSAI Regulation is essential for all food businesses Operators (FBOs) in India who produce, store, transport, distribute and sell food products. There are various types of FSSAI Registration online depending on the type and scale of the food business operation:
Basic FSSAI Registration: small scale food business operators with an annual revenue of less than 12 lakhs, This type of registration is for them. State Foscos FSSAI Registration: This type of registration is for food business operators with annual turnover between 12 lakh to 20 crore. Central Foscos FSSAI Registration: This type of registration is for food business operators with an annual turnover of more than 20 crores and specified categories of food businesses such as imported food, milk and milk products, slaughter and meat processing.
In this case, a food business operator who does not fall in the above category and has certain types of food products that are regulated by FSSAI, needs to apply for an FSSAI license.
It is important to note that the type of Foscos FSSAI registration required for a food business may vary depending on the scale of operations as well as production, storage or sale of specific food products. It is recommended that FBOs should consult FSSAI authorities or legal experts to determine the appropriate type of registration or license for their food business.
Issuance of FSSAI Certificate
The established Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an Government agency under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to adjust and supervise food safety and standards in India.
To do business in the food industry, Food business operators have to achieve license or registration from FSSAI. The type of license or registration needed based upon the nature and scale of the food business.
The process of obtaining an FSSAI license or registration generally involves the following:
- We are applying with required documents and fees.
- The food premises are being inspected.
- Pass the assessment by FSSAI authorities.
Once a license or registration has been granted, it may, from time to time, be renewed from time to time, usually on an annual basis.
FSSAI also issues a certificate to a compliant food business operator who has successfully conducted a food safety audit or inspection.
Please note that Foscos FSSAI license/registration is different from FSSAI certificate as FSSAI certificate is issued only after inspection and food safety audit and is not mandatory for all food businesses. Nevertheless, it serves as reliable proof of compliance with food safety standards.
FoSCoS FSSAI Registration Fee Structure
The fee structure for FoSCoS FSSAI Registration based on the form of food business, The fees for FSSAI license/registration and audit/inspection are different and can be checked on the official website of FSSAI, their turnover and category of food business as per FSSAI
Generally, a food business operator has to pay an application fee along with necessary documents and license or registration fee. Which varies based on the category class and turnover of the food business.
FSSAI license/registration fee for small scale food business operators is relatively less as compared to large scale food business operators.
It is essential to note that the FSSAI fee structure may differ from time to time, so it is always a best idea to check and review the official website of FSSAI for the latest fee structure. To know more, contact us.
Eligibility criteria for food business registration may vary depending on the jurisdiction and specific laws and regulations. However, some general criteria that may be used to determine eligibility include:
- Compliance with relevant food safety and sanitation laws and regulations.
- Compliance with any licensing or grant demands for food businesses.
- Compliance with any zoning or land-use regulations.
- Compliance with any building codes or other construction requirements.
- Compliance with any relevant insurance or bonding requirements.
- Compliance with any compatible labor laws and managements.
- Maintaining Food Safety Management System as per FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India)
It is always recommended to check local laws and regulations or consult a legal professional to ensure that the business meets the eligibility criteria for food business registration.
- Grant of new/renewed/amended license
- new registration
- declaration of ownership
- CGWA NOC dated 02.01.2018 and CGWA NOC dated 11.01.2021 are enclosed.
- Online Sale of Liquor by E-Commerce FBO under Foscos FSSAI License || Draft Declaration for E-Commerce FBOs
- Self-declaration for Exporter FBO – Additional Documents
- Memorize Guidelines and Sample Plan
- BIS License/Receipt of Manufacturers for Packaged Drinking Water
- Repacker – disclosement/undertaking of full compliance with the food product when exception is sought.
The documents which are needed for applying for a new license under the Foreign Companies Service Companies Act (FoSCoS) will vary based on the jurisdiction and specific circumstances of the company. Afterall, some natural documents that may be needed include the following:
Also Read-How to apply for FSSAI Registration Renewal
- The company’s articles of incorporation or formation document.
- Company’s bye-laws or similar governing document.
- Certificate of good standing or equivalent document from the home jurisdiction of the company.
- A List of present directors and officers of the company.
- Proof of address of the registered office.
- Any other document required by the jurisdiction where the company wishes to be registered.
It is always best to check with local authorities or attorneys about specific requirements.
The documents required for renewal or amendment of license under the Foreign Companies Service Companies Act (FoSCoS) will depend on the specific circumstances of the company and the jurisdiction where the company is registered. However, some of the common documents required for renewal or amendment application include the following:
- Local authorities issue current, valid licenses.
- An application for renewal or amendment of a license.
- A List of present directors and officers of the company.
- Valid Proof of address of the certified office of the company.
- Annual Report and Audited Financial Statements
- Any other document needed by the local authority or jurisdiction.
It is always best to check with local authorities or an attorney for specific requirements.
Here are the steps to apply FoSCoS FSSAI New License Registration
under the Foreign Companies Service Companies Act (FoSCoS), The steps to apply for a new license or registration will be based on the specific jurisdiction where the company desires to register.
However, the general process for applying for a new license or registration usually involves the following steps:
Step 1: Determine if your company is suitable for registration under FoSCoS: To assure that your company fits the eligibility criteria, analyze the specific laws and regulations in the jurisdiction where the company will be registered.
Step 2: Collect the Required Documents: You will generally need to provide a set of documents, such as the Articles of Incorporation or Formation, List of directors and officers, and proof of registered office address. Be sure to check with local authorities for specific requirements.
Step 3: Fill Application Form: There will be a registration form to be filled and submitted. Make sure you have filled it correctly and attached all the required documents.
Step 4: Pay the Registration Fee: Submit the application form along with the fee, which varies according to the jurisdiction.
Step 5: Wait for Approval: After the registration form is submitted, If your application is complete and meets the eligible needy, it will be vetted and approved by traditional constituencies.
Step 6: Get the License: Once you apply, you will receive the license and a registration number, which is required to start operating your business in the jurisdiction.
it’s constantly recommended to check with local authorities or examine a lawful expert for additional guidance in applying for a new license or registration under FoSCoS.
There are multiple ways to check FSSAI renewal application status. checking the status online by visiting the official website of FSSAI is the most common way.
Here is the general procedure to check FSSAI renewal status:
- Visit the official website of FSSAI: https://fssai.gov.in/home/
- Click on the ‘Licensing and Registration’ tab
- Click on the ‘Application Status’ button
- You will be averted to a new page where you can find your application status
- To check the status, you need to enter your application number, or your Foscos FSSAI license/registration number and security code as shown in the image.
- Click on the ‘Search’ button
- Your application status will be apparent on the screen
On the other hand, you can likewise actually look at the situation with your FSSAI renewal application by reaching the FSSAI office that is handling your application.You can find the contact details of your local FSSAI office on the official website of FSSAI.
You also have the option to check the status of your application by providing email id and mobile number while applying, in which case you will be sent updates through mail and message respectively. Please note that processing of an FSSAI application may take some time, So it is better that you check the status of your application after a few days of submission.